Thursday 3 December 2015

The Role of Peer and Tutor


Communications is an essential tool that is being used in our daily lives. In this course, we were able to give and receive feedback among classmates, besides receiving comments from the tutor. Being able to get feedback from a different perspective, it is beneficial for my learning. This course allow us to read our peers' reflection and give suggestive feedback on the their blog post. I was skeptical about this module as I had similar module during my study in Polytechnic. But the method of teaching was single-sided and the students could only receive feedback from the tutor. 

Due to the lack of proficiency and vocabulary in English language, I would reread and edit my feedback on my peers’ blog post. I am afraid I might not be able to provide them with constructive feedback. Receiving criticisms is another way of receiving constructive feedback from my peers. Through the criticisms received during the trial run of the presentation, I become more aware of the importance to maintain eye contact with the audience.

Looking at my peers’ work also allowed me to notice the good points in their writing and to apply it to my own writing. It also gave me a chance to spot the common mistakes made by my peers and cross-reference on my own writing to ensure that I was not making the same mistakes. My peers and I were able to practice our analytical skills when we cross check our work.

Even though I felt dreary half way through this module as other heavier modules started to take its toll on me, I am glad I managed to complete this course. All in all, I am certain that the soft skills gained from this module will definitely help me in my other modules through my time in University and beyond. This module has once again reminded me of the importance to incorporate both written and verbal aspects in communication. 


"Our language is the reflection of ourselves. A language is an exact reflection of the character and growth of its speakers." -Cesar Chavez

4 comments:

  1. Greetings Daniel,

    You mentioned that back in your polytechnic days, you had a similar module to Effective Communications and the difference was that the only person able to give feedback was the tutor.

    I'm curious as to what you think about that. Why was your polytechnic tutor only able to provide feedback in polytechnic whereas here in SIT, feedback maybe provided by both tutor and peers.

    Was it due to it being at a diploma level whereas now we are at a degree level? Or was it just a different teaching methodology?

    I agree fully that giving feedback provides a different perspective and may be beneficial to both parties. I feel that the important thing here is in giving your own opinion to the other party as nobody truly thinks the same way as another.

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniel, I definitely can see improvements in your report writing for your other modules. Great job!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daniel,I agree with you that feedback is very beneficial to our learning as it will help us make improvement. This definitely add value to the learning process as a whole. Lets work hard together and become a better writer and presenter. Good luck in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Daniel, for this comprehensive critical reflection. You do a very good job of reviewing the module and what we did for the feedback exercises, and how you felt about that. My only question now is this: How might your experience with peer feedback this term inform your writing (or speaking) in future modules? Would there be any way to get peer feedback on the future?

    That aside, I'd like to thank you for all your effort this term, and I wish you the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete